Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The juggling act

I have said it before and I will say it again............."HAVING TWINS IS NO JOKE!"

Seriously though, I don't know any different. I don't have any other kids, I don't know what its like to only  take care of one baby-easy is one of the words that comes to mind though.

People often ask me if its "hard" having twins. On a day to day basis I don't think its hard at all. But like I said, I don't know any different. I guess I have adapted to my situation and just make the best of it, try to stay calm and deal with things as they come.

Tonight was one of "those nights", the tricky twin nights.

Usually only one baby will get up crying at a time. I can deal with that. But tonight Finley started crying and then 10 seconds later Gillian started crying and all hell broke lose.

I still have no idea what happened or what started it? I have a feeling maybe Finn's helmet was bothering her and she freaked and  Gillian got upset because Finn was crying so she started? Who the heck knows anymore.

All I know is I had two babies up and crying at the same time, a hour after I put them down.

I pulled Finn out and then Gillian and tried to calm them. They were both feeding into each others crying though so there was no stopping them. I tried every trick in the book. I gave them their night light to play with, shoes to chew on, toys to play with, nothing.

I finally dragged them both in the living room with my super strong twin mom arms and threw on Elmo. Silence.

Have I mentioned how much I love Elmo?

Anyway, now that everyone stopped crying I had to figure out how to get everyone back to bed peacefully. This is no small task when a baby has just taken a hour long nap and feels re-energized.

I laid Gillian down on her pull out bed and rocked Finn to sleep in living room. With every minute that passed I took a step towards her bedroom. Gillian was eyeballing me trying to figure out where I was going and taking a step with me each time and then sitting where ever I was to resume her Elmo watching.

I was worried she was going to start crying to be picked up because I was holding Finn, which in turn would wake Finn back up.

Then a good song came on and Gillian headed back to the TV dancing, I bee-lined for the bedroom hoping to get Finn in her bed before Gillian realized I was gone. I got Finn down just in time to hear Gillian clob hopping towards the bedroom whining. I ran out scooped her up in mid run and ran back to the living room! PHEW! I did it!

2 minutes later Finn was up again.........repeat last 3 paragraphs.

After I finally got Finley down for good (I think) I grabbed Gillian and started trying to rock her. No luck. She's too squirmy. I made her a 2nd bottle and turned off all the lights and TV  let her lay down until she was acting tired and scooped her up and put her in her crib.

So that has been my night so far.

I successfully managed to juggle to cranky babies and get them both back to bed within a hour! Go super mom!

So I don't know......do you think having twins is hard?

4 comments:

Tracy said...

So this is what I have to look forward too in the next few months! UGH! I always say that. "I don't know of any other way"..which is true!

Jill said...

Ugh, I remember those days and can totally relate. It does get easier, thank goodness!

Sara said...

Yes, I think its hard. However, I think the first 3 months home are the hardest. At least they were here. We had 12 week early babies so when they came home after 2 1/2 months in the NICU we were so excited. They were finally the size of newborns yay! Starting at 2.5 lbs, 6lbs seemed like they were so big. We had one little one on oxygen for a month, so we had a really long oxygen tube following us around for that first month and a portable alarm to help things. Plus, the girls both had horrible reflux. I rember thinking, I'm never going to leave the house again. After about 3 months though, things calmed down. Izzy got off of oxygen, and they started sleeping for 3 hour streches. I look back now and feel amazed. I remember people asking me if it was twice as hard as having one newborn. I have no idea, I never had one newborn. All I know is having two newborns is a whirlwind. I wouldn't have it any other way now, but I sure had my moments of thinking how easy one baby would be. Of course, I know if I had only had one baby it would have seemed hard then too. :)

GreenVegLife said...

We've had nights like that. it's horrible. But- in the moment you just deal with it. Having twins forces you to become really good at dealing with a crisis. After that happens- I usually feel better. It's ike- ok...we had one of those nights...we should be in the clear for at least a few weeks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails