Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Birth Story

Friday morning Gary and I headed to the hospital to get ourselves checked in and everything started for the section. I was anxious as all hell about the catheter (they insisted on doing it before my spinal) and as soon as I got there they did my IV and the cath. And I have to say....honestly, the cath was nothing! Barely felt a thing and the following day I was so in love with not having to get up to use the bathroom since I was in so much pain that I was contemplating keeping it in for a extra day! Lol. So honestly, dont worry about it!

Once that was all set we headed off to the OR and I was shaking like a leaf at the thought of my spinal. The anestesialogist was great and so sweet and very reassuring. All I felt was a slight pinch and then it was done. Honestly I have had novacaine at the dentist that was worse that that! Then they laid me down and put up the big sheet so I could't see jack diddly (thank goodness) and called Gary in. They started to do the "pinch" test to see if I was numb or not and I was still feeling some pinches here and there. We waited a few more minutes and the doctor tried againa nd I was good to go!

I have to say, I always read when people say you feel tugging and stuff during the ssection but never imagined it would be like this! It wasn't painful it was just really, really , really weird feeling! It felt like a eternity before the doctor pulled out baby A. Finally she was out and they held her over the curtain for Gary and I to see. She was so beautiful...and Big! Baby Gillian Adair came out first at 12:08pm weighting 7lbs 5oz and never cried! They took her away to get her checked out and started on getting my transverse Baby B out! Finally Finley Hope made her entrance into the world at 12:11 pm screaming her little head off weighing in at a measly 5lbs9oz! Poor little thing! Her sister must have been stealing all of her food from her! She was so tiny compared to her!

And I have to say that this is where everything went crazy and is a blur. After the pulled Finley out I started getting really dizzy and light headed. My blood pressure was dropping fast and I felt like hell. They kept giving me meds to counteract it and just kept telling me to "breath" at this point they wouldn't let Gary back in to see me because I was so borderline. Finally after they were done and they got my BP somewhat stabilized I was brought back to my room. The nurses and docs kept coming in to check on me and I guess because my uterus was so big it wasn't contracting back into place like it was supposed to and I was hemmoraging. I am not really sure what the hell happened after this, all I remember is everyone coming in and out giving me this drug and that drug and this shot and that shot trying to make it stop. I ended up being knocked back out in my room at one point because the doc was so worried and she went back in to look for blood clots that may have been making it worse. I woke up at some point after that and they were giving me a blood transfussion because I had lost so much blood. I ended up being given 4 bags of blood and thankfully at around 10:00pm I started to stabilize. I had nurses in the room non stop massaging my uterus to help it firm up and felt like hell.

Not to mention the fact that I had given birth to my two girls at 11:00 am and here is almost 12 hours later and I couldn't even tell youw what they looked like? I was so upset that I didn't feel like I had a bond with them at first, with all the drama going on how could I? Around 2 in the morning I started to feel a little better and made Gary go get them from the nursery for me. Once I saw them I was in heaven. They are so cute. Words just can't describe how you feel once you see them and it kicks in that they are yours!

I grew them! I took care of them for 9 months! And I have to say I did one hell of a job!

Neither girl needed any NICU time, both got great Apgar scores and both came home with me yesterday! They are so adorable!

So.....without any further babbling! I know you want to see some pics! So here goes!


Justine H said...

WOW, what a story. Im glad you made it through and the girls had no NICU time, thats amazing! and even though you have a littler girl, 5lbs is still a great weight for a twin!
Congrats, enjoy!

Christina said...

What an amazing story! I'm so glad you are ok! The girls are beautiful, and awesome weights! Congratulations, enjoy them!!

Amber said...

ERIN, they are so beautiful and perfect! You did such a great job, mama. And, I bet you can hardly remember how uncomfortable you were that last month when you look at their cute little faces! Congrats again!

Kristi Hutton said...

OMG! What cutie pies! They're precious! How scary of a story you have, but what an amazing ending... they went home with Mommy and Daddy! What an accomplishment! Enjoy those angels :)

Mandibula said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!

Melissa Ann said...

Beautiful girls! I'M so glad you're alright!

Related Posts with Thumbnails